Tuesday, April 7, 2015

And I'm just like that bird...

I was trimming some bushes when I heard this loud thump as if something had hit the gutter. Something flopped at my feet and I expected to see a branch but it was a bird. I looked at the pitiful little guy, laying awkwardly on his side with his head in some grass. After a few hesitant approaches I saw that he was breathing rapidly. I got close talking to him. "You can stay right there. Nothing is going to hurt you." He just looked at me. Finally I decided to carefully move him to a more comfortable position. He was as still as a decoy. He never moved as  I took him carefully in my hands and sat him upright. I began to think that he had a broken neck or something and began to worry that I should be putting him out of his misery at some point but I just could not do that. If he was suffering, he would just have to pass away naturally in pain because I did not understand him and his needs. I went back to trimming my bushes and watched him as he sat completely still. His breathing was less, which disheartened me but it is not like I knew how birds breathed. Then as my head was turned I heard a swift flutter of wings and turning I saw that he was no longer there. I felt very good.

Later as I was telling my wife I believe it was he making a few passes overhead completely recovered and possibly showing me. Those were the events - the emotion in the analogy... well, that was there too.



Bird on the horizon, sittin' on a fence,
He's singin' his song for me at his own expense.
And I'm just like that bird, oh
Singin' just for you.
I hope that you can hear,
Hear me singin' through these tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment