Saturday, September 10, 2011

No More

After a particularly disturbing public post on Facebook and a heartbreaking tale (for me) from a young lady at the library, I will no longer remain silent when the racist "N" word is voiced in my presence. I am deeply ashamed I have remained silent in some past situations.

Addendum: My friend in Hungary asked the story so I will tell it with "N" word intact.

This young girl was at the grocery store. She reached for the last loaf of particular kind of bread and another older white lady reached at the same time. They both touched the bread. The younger girl said "Go ahead and take it, it's ok." The older lady said "I don't want anything that a nigger touched anyway."
I think this young lady is one of the nicest people I know, so the fact that this happened in her young lifetime speaks volumes about why I will no longer tolerate this word.

No comments:

Post a Comment